P.Eng., Professional Engineers, Ontario
Ph.D., University of Western Ontario
Dr. Alvarez Cuenca is a Professor of Chemical Engineering and Head of the Laboratory of Membrane Bioreactors at Ryerson University (Toronto, Canada). He holds a B.Eng (Chemical Engineering) from the Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, and an M.Sc. and a Ph.D. in Physics and Chemical Engineering respectively from the University of Western Ontario (Canada). Manuel adds to his curriculum over 15 years of industrial experience with multinational corporations in the areas of fluidized bed reactors, bioreactor design, water treatment and clean power generation. In 2002, he founded Ecotechnos Inc., a company devoted to the design and construction of advanced bioreactors for the treatment of industrial watewater including nitrogen and phosphorous removal. He is an active consultant for both, governments and the private sector in Canada, Spain and Iberoamerica in the areas of water treatment, and energy. Iberoamerica. His academic record spans over two decades with universities in Europe, Canada, and South America, including Ryerson University, U. of Western Ontario, U of Waterloo, U. of Guelph, U of Windsor ), U.Politécnica de Madrid ( Spain),) Universidad Nacional de Colombia (Colombia), U de Cartagena de Indias (Colombia), Corporacion Universitaria de la Costa(Colombia ).
He holds four patents on the design of compact bioreactors, over fifty papers, one book on Pressurized Fluid Beds Combustion, and has chaired and participated in the organization of numerous international conferences and congresses including the 5th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, San Diego California,1996 . Dr. Cuenca has taught numerous courses and seminars on Water/wastewater Treatment,Solid Waste Management, Design of Wastewater Treatment Plants and has won several awards as Academic Adviser in Plant Design Competitions with Water Environmental Federation, and Water Environment Association of Ontario (Ottawa 2012, New Orleans 2010, London 2010).
1. “Analysis of a Vertical Bioreactor for Denitrification and Biological Phosphorus Removal from Wastewater”, M. Reza and M. Alvarez-Cuenca,Chemical Engineering and Process Techniques, Vol. 1, Issue 1, 1006 (August 2013) (R).
2. “CUBEN, a Novel Bioreactor for the Removal of Nutrients: A Performance Evaluation", NATO Science for Peace and Security Series-C: Environmental Security", Springer in collaboration with NATO Public Diplomacy Division, 63-92, 2013 (R).
3. "Municipal Solid Waste: The Canadian View”, 4th Exhibition and Conference on Management of Solid and Hazardous Waste", Conference Proceedings, Medellin, Colombia, November 16-19, 2011(R).
4. “Biofilm Reactor Technologies for the Treatment of Highly Contaminated Industrial Wastewater”, Conference Proceedings. Exporesiduos IV, Medellin Colombia, November 7-11, 2011 (R).
5. “The Compact Upright Bioreactor for the Elimination of Nutrients (CUBEN)”M. Alvarez Cuenca and M. Reza, 84th Annual Water Environment Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC 2011), Conference Proceedings, Technical Program Session 75, Los Angeles, USA, October 19, 2011 (R).
6. “The Compact Upright Bioreactor for the Elimination of Nutrients (CUBEN): Design and Construction” Manuel Alvarez Cuenca and Maryam Reza, 2011 WEAO Conference, Toronto, Session 21, April 10-12, 2011 (R).
7. “Performance Evaluation of a Novel Ceramic Membrane Bioreactor for Nutrient Removal” North American Membrane Society (NAMS) Conference Proceedings, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, June 5, 2011 (R).
8. “Development of a three-phase fluidized bed reactor with enhanced oxygen transfer” , L. Wan, M. Alvarez Cuenca, S.R. Upreti, A. Lohi., Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 49,2-8, (2010) (R).
9. “Biodegradation of diesel fuel-contaminated wastewater using a three-phase fluidized bed reactor” A. Lohi, M. Alvarez Cuenca, G. Anania, S.R. Upreti, L. Wan, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 105-111,( 2008) (R).
10. “Treatment of Municipal Wastewater, Landfill Leachate and Septic Tank Effluent with High-Performance Compact Plant”
Manuel Alvarez Cuenca, Eva Maria Palomero, Rakesh Desai, and Ana Maria Escribano. Water Conditioning and Purification, p 78-81, September (2006) (R).
11. “Investigation of Gaseous Ozone as an Anti-fungal Fumigant for Stored Wheat” Jiangning Wu, Huu Doan, and Manuel Alvarez Cuenca. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology. 81, 1288-1293, (2006) (R).
12. “Anaerobic Biodegradation of Diesel Fuel-contaminated Wastewater in a Fluidized Bed Reactor” M. Alvarez Cuenca, J. Vezuli, A. Lohi, and S.R. Upreti. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering. Electronic Format DOI 10.1007/s00449-006-0053-4 (2006) (R).
13. “Removal of Aqueous Phenol Using Immobilized Enzymes in a Bench-and Pilot-scale Three-Phase Fluidized Bed Reactor” Lucila Ensuncho, Manuel Alvarez Cuenca, and Ray Legge. Bioprocesses and Biosystems Engineering, 27, 185-191, 2005 (R).
14. “Performance of an Active Biological Contactor (ABC) : Treating Winery Wastewater, Manuel Alvarez Cuenca, Water Conditioning and Purification, P 56-60, October 2004 (R).
15. "Performance of an Activated Biological Contactor (ABC) in the Treatment of Winery Wastewater " Manuel Alvarez Cuenca, Edwin Castilla, and Nilou Ghazi, Proceedings of the 3rd International Specialized Conference on Sustainable Viticulture and Winery Wastes Management,P.159-166, Barcelona, Spain, May 24-26, 2004 (R).
16. "Convenio de Cooperación Académica entre la R.P.U de Ontario, Canada y la Universidad de Cartagena, Colombia: Una Acción Internacionalizadora" Manuel Alvarez Cuenca and Raul Guerrero Torres. Proceedings of the XXII Reunión Nacional de Facultades de Ingeniería, Cartagena de Indias, September 18-20, 2002.
17. “Biological Fluidized Bed Reactors: A Technology for Water Treatment” by Edgar Quiñones, Manuel Alvarez Cuenca, Lambert Otten, and Mehrab Mehrvar, Proceedings of the Environmental Forum Colombia-Canada, Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, May 24-26, 2000 (R).
18. “Nitrification and Denitrification in Rotating Biological Contactors” by Edwin Castilla, Manuel Alvarez Cuenca, Lambert Otten, and Mehrab Mehrvar, Environmental Forum Colombia-Canada, Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, May 24-26, 2000 (R).